There's nothing quite like the taste of a fresh cup of coffee. But sometimes, you don't want the whole caffeine buzz. That's where half decaffeinated, or half-caff, specialty coffee comes in.
At Primos Coffee Co, we use only the finest Arabica coffee beans for our specialty coffees. We take great care in removing the caffeine from these coffee beans without sacrificing their flavors.
As the name suggests, half decaffeinated coffee is coffee that has had 50% of its caffeine content removed. Our half decaffeinated coffee is:
- Premium Arabica Coffee - 50% caffeinated and 50% decaffeinated
- Caffeine is removed from decaffeinated coffee via the Mountain Water Process, a gentle process using only pure water from the Pico de Orizaba mountain to remove the caffeine while leaving the coffee flavors.
- Medium-bodied with low acidity, smooth, sweet with citrus notes, consistent as coffee is never blended.
- Roasted in small batches upon order
How Is Caffeine Removed From Our Specialty Coffee?
Mountain Water Decaffeination is a gentle process using only pure water from the Pico de Orizaba mountain to remove the caffeine from the coffee beans. Our unroasted coffee is soaked in the water to extract the caffeine.
Along with the caffeine, other elements are extracted that are needed in the final coffee, such as flavors, sugars, and oils. This extract, containing both caffeine and tasty molecules, is passed through a charcoal filter that collects the larger caffeine molecules, allowing the water and the tasty molecules to pass through. The decaf extract now becomes the water base in which future batches of beans are soaked.
Already at the maximum saturation of the tasty molecules, the decaf extract will now dissolve just the caffeine from this second batch of beans. The cycle can then continue until an entire lot of coffee has been decaffeinated.
Our Half-Caff Roasts & Grinds
- Medium: Also known as city or regular roast, which is the most common roasting profile. The natural flavors of the beans are more dominant than the roast flavors, and the finish is delightfully aromatic.
- Dark: Also known as full city or French roast. The roast flavors dominate the natural flavors of the beans.
- Medium: Texture similar to sand and used for drip brewing.
- Coarse: Texture similar to sea salt and is ideal for slower brewing methods such as French press, percolator, and cold brewing.
- Fine/Espresso: A powdery texture which is the most efficient grind for extracting the coffee's flavor and is best used with quick brewing methods such as espresso.
Buy Your Half-Caff Specialty Coffee At Primos Coffee Co
If you want to try our half decaffeinated specialty coffee for yourself, wait no more. We offer a variety of roasts and grinds that you can choose from to find the perfect one for your needs and preferences. We know you'll love our half-decaf coffee as much as we do! Contact us today.